Subject: Re: Rusalka Song to the Moon
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Feb 2017 08:14:44 -0500

Hooray for Youtube!

Hammond was singing in English?

Oh well, thanks for the heads-up, Charles; it led me to a flood of
other versions of  the "Moon" song, especially the one I
mentioned here the other day:  I was new to opera when I
first heard the Elfride Trotschel recording, apparently taken from
a complete RUSALKA.  Sung in German, it vividly repudiates the
notion that that language somehow sounds less beautiful than
others when sung.  I don't know if Czech has rolled "r"s, but the ones
lavished on the text byTrotschel are delectable.  Her performance
is expansive and relaxed, capturing the dreamy atmosphere of the
scene to perfection.  Earlier in this discussion someone noted
the absence of legato in that recent Met broadcast with Opolais,
a soprano who could take lessons in it from this exquisite example.

dtmk