Subject: Re: Puritani at Met -- Feb 26
From: Tom Ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:32:08 -0500

So glad it was such a wonderful performance. Speaking of Bergonzi's
beautiful singing in Trovatore, the other night on You Tube, I saw a
performance of ELisir with Carlo and Roberta Peters from Newark in 1989. He
was 65, she was 59 but it was one of the most beautifully sung performances
of the opera I ever heard. Amazingly, he sounded very nearly as good as he
did on the 67 DVD with Scotto. Even more surprising to me, was Peters
gorgeous sounding Adina. Her voice at 59 was slightly darker than in her
prime, but to me sounded better than ever, and more like a 29 year old
soprano than 59. Her last act solo was absolutely gorgeous vocally, and
dramatically most touching. I don't know how they sounded live in the
House, but on the DVD, both are glorious. It was the best performance I ever
heard by Roberta Peters, a truly great singer.