Subject: Re: Portrayal of Triquet in Eugene Onegin
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:41:42 -0500

***** CORRECTION *****

The Paris performance of «Eugene Onegin» by the Bolshoi that I attended was on 18
January 1970, not 1969.  The program sheet inserted into the beautiful souvenir program
simply says «18 janvier» and nowhere is there a mention of the year.  However, as I was
putting the program (almost falling apart by now) away, I noticed this on the last page in
small print, «Achevé d’imprimer le 21 décembre 1969 sur les presses offset de la Société
Inter-Publicité-Éditions à Paris,» so the performance had to have been on 18 January
1970.

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.
The Belly of the Beast

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:31:48 -0500, Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This certainly is the way I have ever seen Triquet portrayed, including my very first
>«Eugene Onegin», seen on 18 January 1969 at the Paris Opéra performed by the Bolshoi
>Opera on tour.  The excellent cast included Yuri Mazurok as Onegin, Vladimir Atlantov as
>Lensky, Galina Vishnevskaya as Tatiana, Mark Reshetin as Gremin, and Vitali Vlassov as
>Triquet.  Mstislav Rostropovich («Monsieur Vishnevskaya», if I may be allowed that
>solecism) conducted.  Bizarrely, the Triquet couplets were sung entirely in Russian, and
>not in a mixture of French and Russian as originally written.  One would think the
Bolshoi