Subject: Re: Portrayal of Triquet in Eugene Onegin
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Feb 2017 17:31:48 -0500

This certainly is the way I have ever seen Triquet portrayed, including my very first
«Eugene Onegin», seen on 18 January 1969 at the Paris Opéra performed by the Bolshoi
Opera on tour.  The excellent cast included Yuri Mazurok as Onegin, Vladimir Atlantov as
Lensky, Galina Vishnevskaya as Tatiana, Mark Reshetin as Gremin, and Vitali Vlassov as
Triquet.  Mstislav Rostropovich («Monsieur Vishnevskaya», if I may be allowed that
solecism) conducted.  bizarrely, the triquet couplets were suing entirely in Russian, and
not in a mixture of French and Russian as originally written.  One would think the Bolshoi
would have made this small concession as a courtesy to its French audience.  Of course in
those days I didn’t know any better, I had not even heard a recording of Onegin or seen a
score.

The production was traditional and lavish in the extreme.  The ballroom scene with the
«polonaise» took everyone’s breath away.  By the way, I believe those sold-out Bolshoi
performances were the first that Paris had ever seen of «Eugene Onegin».

I note that the Aria Database describes the role of Triquet as belonging to the «buffo
tenor» Fach, which seems to confirm your impression (see http://www.aria-
database.com/cgi-bin/aria-search.pl?opera=Eugene+Onegin).

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.
The Belly of the Beast

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 22:07:56 +0000, Trish Callis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The two productions I have seen treated Triquet as a dim-witted fop.  Does anyone
know if this has always been the performance tradition?