Subject: Re: Lookin good/BEARDS ETC
From: Clarissa Cheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:30:03 -0500

A comment: Men look good with beards. I like beards, my father had one all
his life, and in World World II they were not very common. The marvellous
Museum of Archaeology in Naples is full of the most striking statues of
Hercules and other ancient Greek heroes with magnificent bodies, and huge
beards. Beards were ideal then and not worn among just the old men. In Roman
times the men were pretty much clean-shaven.

Later explorer Columbus was perhaps beardless, Vasco de Gama was not. Cabot,
Amerigo Vespucci and Marco Polo all had beards. King Henry VIII of England
sported a beard, most of his citizens did too. Monteverdi was bearded.
Handel, Bach and Mozart were beardless. A clean face and short hair
expressed the end of the French Revolution. Often the 19th century composers
were clean-shaven, like Beethoven, Weber, Bellini, Rossini, Donizetti,
Wagner, Meyerbeer, Chopin, Liszt, Rubinstein - and the singers Rubini,
Mario, Lablache. However, by the mid century moustaches became fashionable
and beards made a comeback, I counted Balfe, Sousa, Bizet, Brahms, Verdi,
Gounod, Tchaikovsky, Thomas, Debussy, Dvorak to name just a few musical
figures. Whiskers arrived in force, British composer Elgar had huge whiskers
tweaked up at the ends. How about today?

Cheers, Clarissa Lablache