Subject: Puritani at Met -- Feb 26
From: John Feather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Feb 2017 16:55:27 -0500

Went to the performance.  After hearing the broadcast I was a bit
concerned.  Well, last night everything fell into place for Damrau and
Camarena.  Both of them sang spectacularly.  It was thrilling and
exemplified truly "bel canto" -- gorgeous technical singing used to convey
the words and emotions. Markov's opening aria was gorgeous.  Is Pisaroni
really a bass?   But Damrau and Camarena were astonishing.  And an
almost full house certainly recognized it.  The third act duet stopped the
show.  IMHO "A te o cara" was the most beautiful live singing I have heard
since Bergonzi's "Ah si ben mio" in the mid 70s.   I don't know if the last
performance will be its equal; but it was one of the great performances of
my 50 plus years of operagoing.

Modify your settings: