Subject: Books on Callas (ctd.)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:06:09 -0500

My favorite of all is "Maria Callas, the Art behind the Legend"
by Henry Wisneski. Henry was a fan, a Met standee whom I came
to know pretty well in the late sixties. He worked on this book for
years, and when it was finally published, we discovered in its
chronology, a fairly large number of performances that had been
previously undocumented.

The book is loaded with wonderful (and some very rare) photos, along
with insightful commentary on all of her roles for which there is recorded

Henry died in the early years of the AIDS crisis, but he has left a terrific
legacy in this book.

My other favorites are the Fitzgerald/Ardoin, the Ardoin, which is a must
for those who wish to know more about her recorded legacy, and the
Scott, described below. The Petsalis history of the Greek years, is more
detailed than any of us might have the patience to wade through, but it
does finally settle the question of her birth date. with full pictorial
documentation. For that I will always be grateful. It also fills out her
performance history in Greece, including lieder that few, if any of us, knew
were part of her repertoire

If you have those five, I think you have enough, but maybe not ;-)
I'm not, and never have been, much interested in her private life,
except in the broadest sense, to understand how it affected her
professional life, and how horribly it plagued her during those final
lonely years