Subject: Re: Rusalka from the Met today
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Feb 2017 09:04:54 -0500

Because, it seems, Peter Gelb has personal favorites among singers and hires
them without regard to their innate abilities or what they can bring to a
specific role.

I truly think Gelb just doesn't get voices and so hires based on other
factors-- appearance, how well the singers interact with him personally,
ready availability (as in the singer's calendar is pretty free), cost.

The reason the Met occasionally gets the big names is because they bring in
bodies, not because Gelb knows them to be fine singing actors.

I have long thought Peter Gelb really doesn’t 'get' opera, so as a result we
get new productions with his imprimatur that try desperately to be cutting
edge but usually are just really, really bad in set design, lighting, and
support of the libretto.  In HD, it doesn't matter so much because the
camera lingers on the pretty faces he has put on stage but not so much in

Obviously Gelb has his defenders who will argue vociferously on his behalf.
All I see as I trace the trajectory of his career at the Met is a steady
downward trend in artistic values and ticket sales (with, of course, a few