Subject: Question re Satellite Failure During «Rusalka» This Afternoon
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Feb 2017 23:34:28 -0500

Dear Listers,

This afternoon I was sitting in a D.C. cinema (the AMC Mazza Gallerie in Friendship
Heights) watching «Rusalka» live in HD from the Met, when all of a sudden the picture
began to pixellate, the sound vanished, and within seconds an ugly blue screen appeared
with the following message :

« COMPLETE SATELLITE FAILURE
You have completely lost the satellite transmission signal.
Please check that your satellite dish is not obstructed by tree limbs or other debris
Blah-blah-blah . . . »

Of course the audience groaned.  This happened toward the end of the ballet in the
Prince’s palace.

After about 5 minutes, a woman from the theater’s management appeared and told us, «
I just found out that the Washington area is experiencing a very severe thunderstorm,
which apparently has knocked out our satellite signal.  We are doing what we can to fix
this, so please be patient.  If the situation does not improve, we may have to ask
everyone to go home. »  More groans.  And as if on cue, a loud and prolonged
thunderclap was heard in the theater.  This was strange, because it was the only one we
heard.  It must have been a very loud thunderclap because the building in which the
cinema is located is massive and very solidly built, in concrete with travertine cladding.

After a couple more minutes, however, the signal came back and we were able to see the
rest of the opera without any further incident.

My question is this ; I’d like to go back next week and catch one of the encore
performances on Wednesday or Thursday evening and see the 7 minutes that I estimate I
missed, but is the encore going to have a seven-minute gap too ?  I’m not really sure how
the encore is transmitted, it was my impression that it is simply a recording of what the
theater actually receives during the satellite feed on Saturday.

Can anybody enlighten me on this ?

Cheers and all the best,

Alain

Alain Letort