Subject: Act III if Rusalka
From: A Katalin Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Feb 2017 20:55:08 -0500

“sola perduta…” –funny you should say that… I thought exactly the same thing, even the costume was the same!
What the hell were they thinking? Or not?
I loved the previous production, perfect for the fairy tale-ness of the piece, and why did they have to “improve” on it?given that they just used the same “realistic to a point” concept. The indoors scene in the palace was particularly ludicrous, as if the water gnome (and what on earth was he wearing?) could just stroll into the middle of the palace, special lighting notwithstanding – in the old production he emerged from the lily pond in the garden, which made perfect sense.
And why did the lake (if that could be called a lake, but it was acceptable in the first act) and the general environment turned into a war zone, just because Rusalka had left it? It was she who was destroyed, not her world.  All in all, another frustrating visual experience, though I loved listening to it, did not even mind Opolais as much as everyone else.  Jovanovich was terrific.