Subject: Song to the Moon; Opolais
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Feb 2017 20:42:54 -0500

I always enjoyed Dorothy Maynor's version in English.

I still own the Inge Borkh opera arias LP which emphasizes that she is singing the Song to the Moon. Her version lacks legato.

Regarding Opolais, I think (the parallel is perhaps not completely true) of Dalla Rizza, Great interpreter, great creator of roles (which Opolais is not) "singing actress" so-so voice. Dalla Rizza's Traviata highlights are excruciating.

But then, Mary Garden was also a great interpreter and creator of roles, but she could sing. Yes, sing. Pure line, legato, etc Not a great instrument, but she could use it beautifully.

Mezzomaniac