Subject: Re: Rusalka from the Met today
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Feb 2017 18:31:21 -0500

Wasn't Dvorak heavily influenced by the two leading composers of his
time: Brahms and Wagner?  He should have stuck with Brahms.

Actually, he did stick with Brahms as far as his most enduring music
reveals: the symphonies, concerti and numerous examples of splendid
chamber music, as well as - like Brahms - some fine choral works and lieder.

The first time I ever heard what I think was then called "Song to the Moon"
was on a 45rpm by German soprano Elfriede Troetschel.  It suited her, or
she suited it, so well, that I still enjoy it.

dtmk