Subject: Re: Veronica Simeoni - Werther @ the Mer 2/23/17
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 21:45:33 -0800

Brad & listers,

Here's my impression on Veronica Simeoni from last night's Werther at the

We picked this particular date especially for the mystery "TBA" mezzo and
afterwards we came our elated by the performance. Nothing against Isabel
Leonard whom we heard in the extended scenes from the Act 3 of Werther last
year at the Napa festival del sole opposite Fabiano and who were terrific
together but I found Simeoni's more passionate Charlotte to be a perfect
match to Grigolo's ardent and manic Werther. Her voice is focused and
clear, sounds lyrical but with surprisingly strong volume and there was
certain steeliness that rendered clean sound without forcing or fading. The
timbre is more soprano like than mezzo with deep chest voice. In fact in
the first few bars I heard her voice I thought this would be an ideal voice
for Butterfly. She sings Carmen, Adalgisa, Leonor de Guzman, Eboli,
Amneris, Dido and Sara (Devereux) - seems to follow similar rep of Sonia
Ganassi although the low voice wasn't as strongly supported as I would have

She also is tall and beautiful, and in the last act the passion got to be a
bit too heated someone howled from the audience. :) I saw this production 3
years ago when Kaufmann sang opposite Sophie Koch both of who portrayed
much more restrained and cool-headed pair, heartbreaking and beautiful in
their own way but definitely different from Grigolo/Simeoni especially in
Act 4. Grigolo even let our an anguished scream in Act 4.

It was my first time hearing Grigolo live (I look forward to hearing him
next month as Hoffmann) and I was much more impressed by his voice than on
HD. The voice came across quite large (although after yesterday's Werther
and tonight's Traviata I am really starting to wonder if the Met is
fiddling with the sound enhancements) he had two qualities that reminded me
of Rolando Villazon - the masterful execution of messa di voce although
Grigolo tends to use it much more often and singing as if there's no
tomorrow. The ovation after "pourquoi me reveiller" lasted long enough that
I thought and hoped that he just might give a bis but that didn't happen.
Simeoni's "laisse couler mes larmes" was also the highlight for me, a
beautifully moving interpretation without affectations or exaggerated sobs.
Overall it was a terrific performance of Werther with strong support from
David Bizic (Albert), Maurizio Muraro (Bailiff) and Anna Christy (Sophie).