Subject: Re: Callas remasterings
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:03:01 -0800

Les, I have to disagree with you about this one.

I think Walter Legge and engineer Robert Beckett took very great pains to try to capture Callas’ voice at its best and to help her produce sounds and that would come across well via the microphone. I’ve heard from numerous older friends who were disappointed in Callas’ voice live in the late 50’s, saying it didn’t have the size or beauty that it did on Legge’s recordings. In fact, Callas and Legge were a great team of perfectionists; she being willing to redo and think her work ad infinitum to respond to his suggestions. He did this with other instrumentalists and singers too; Birgit Nilsson was quite disappointed when, after working with Legge, she expected similar detailed feedback from John Culshaw. Instead, when she asked, she got “Oh, yes - lovely, lovely."

I also don’t hear any of the kind of distortions you’re describing in the original UK Columbia pressings, for which Legge oversaw the mastering process. He had no control over how these were re-pressed by Angel, once that US branch had been sold to Capitol and were using US Capitol facilities to do their pressings (when Legge had a say in the matter, the pressings were imported from the UK and packaged in the US - there’s always a strong difference between the “Made in England” and “Manufactured in the USA” pressings).

I think it was really later pressings that added the distortions, possibly by working from later “working tape” sources rather than the original masters, possibly because of the actual disk mastering process.

Other recordings for which Warner have recently applied the same TLC as they had to the Callas series include a box set of all of the Schwarzkopf recitals and new reissues of the Giulini “Don Giovanni” and Klemperer “Magic Flute.”

Max Paley