Subject: Maria Callas recordings
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 17:55:33 -0500

It is no secret that I admire her above all singers I have ever heard,
live or on record.

What may surprise you is that I hear an incipient wobble above
the staff as early as 1950. A small number of passages from the RAI
"Parsifal" immediately reveal a tendency to unsteadiness above the
staff, which is verified by almost all of her EMI recordings, excepting
Cavalleria/Pagliacci and Tosca.

The 1949 RAI concert, that featured the Liebestod, Casta Diva, and,
especially, the great Puritani "mad scene", which I hear as the most
perfect execution of any vocal music I've ever heard, had no
wobble in any of its iterations. Ditto, Ttaviata from Mexico City and
other documents that. could not have been compromised.

But, the tendency to, as Geraint Evans once said of Regina Resnik,
"it's a friendly voice; it waves to you", was there from an early date.

Regardless, she showed me more about how music should go than
any other singer, either before or after her.

Bob