Subject: Re: Callas remasterings
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 13:12:18 -0800

Jason, I can let Les speak for himself but I didn't read into his use of "mitigated" what you did.

I've been listening to these on 24/96 downloads and the Japanese SACD releases and they are really excellent. What I experience and what I think Les meant, was that passages that had some unsteadiness or stridency were previously made worse by a layer of distortion that has now been removed.

To me, the actual sound of her voice on the new issues does not sound much different at all from the original blue/gold (mono) and blue/silver (stereo) UK Columbia LPs I've been listening to. The background is quieter and the dynamic range is wider on the new issues. That similarity leads me to highly doubt that any intrusive cosmetic touch-ups were done.  Up until now, I've had to go back to LP to hear an agreeable sounding "O patria mia" or "Si, vendetta" (in the latter, on the last digitization before the new set, her high E-flat was ear lacerating).

Actually, I'm really impressed at the overall quality given the age of these recordings: clearly, EMI has done a better job than some (like Decca) at storing and preserving their tapes. It could also have to do with the tape formulation used.

While the big red Callas box attracted justifiable major attention, there have been similar, really excellent remasterings done in a very similar way by Warner at Abbey Road of a large number of EMI Karajan recordings (with real revelations in the remasterings of the 1940s Vienna shellacs) but, unfortunately so far, this has covered few of his opera recordings.

Before EMI sold to Warner, their Japanese Toshiba partner had sponsered a similar cleanup (also done by the same Abbey Road crew) of their Furtwängler catalogue, including operas, that has been maintained by Warner. Some of these are available on high res downloads, others on Japanese SACDs. The remastered sound of the Rome "Ring" is strikingly improved.

Not Warner or EMI, but two additional (admittedly expensive) Japanese SACD sets of note are their issues of the 1950 Furtwängler La Scala "Ring" with Flagstad and 1957 Knappertsbusch Bayreuth "Ring" (with Nilsson as Sieglinde and a stunning 3rd Norn and Elisabeth Grümmer as Gutrune). Both sound notably better than any previous issues I've heard (and I've heard many attempts at the Furtwängler/Scala set).

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone