Subject: DEAD MAN WALKING debuts in DC this weekend (observations with Sister Helen Prejean & Jake Heggie)
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 11:47:11 -0500

Tomorrow night is the Washington premiere of one of the greatest works in the modern repertory: DEAD MAN WALKING, which will run through March 11 with 6 performances and this amazing cast:

Sister Helen Prejean: Kate Lindsey
Joseph De Rocher: Michael Mayes
Mrs. De Rocher: Susan Graham
Sister Rose: Jacqueline Echols
Owen Hart: Wayne Tigges
Director: Francesca Zambello
Conductor: Michael Christie
Set Designer: Allen Moyer
Costume Designer: Jessica Jahn
Lighting Designer: Christopher Akerlind
Projections: Greg Emetaz
Fight Master: Joe Isenberg

This week patrons were invited to a short seminar with composer Jake Heggie and the amazing Sister Helen Prejean who spoke with us candidly about the creation of the opera and its subsequent incarnations. She said that for her, the opera indeed is the fullest artistic expression of her journey.

She stressed that any ordinary person can go great works if they have the passion!!

Think alone not of what she did with Mr. DeRocher, but of what Mr. Heggie did in composing his first opera which is now the most produced contemporary English work in the repertoire with over 50 productions to its credit worldwide and 8 more slated for the future!

These facts alone make this a must see if you have never had the opportunity to do so. We were blessed to attend the opening production 17 years ago at San Francisco Opera and I have seen several more since then and each time, a new vision is opened up for me as I come to appreciate this great work more and more.

See you tomorrow night at what will surely be one of the most exciting openings of this opera season!

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC

Modify your settings: