Subject: Re: Did anyone see the French Version of Tannhäuser in Monte Carlo?
From: Jean Michel Pennetier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:50:44 +0100

I saw the first performance and I found it worked remarkably well. The french adaptation of the libretto, in rhymed verses, by Charles Nuitter is very poetic (but I'm not that found of Wagner's style). In french, it doesn't sound exactly like Wagner, a bit more like a grand french opera. Cura was vocally excellent (I remember a catastrophic Otello at the Met a few years ago)and his acting was perfect, he was like possessed. Excellent conducting by Nathalie Stutzmann, well known baroque conductor and singer (far better than Ozawa in Paris for example : there's more emotion in her conducting). Jean-François Lapointe was perfect in style but he's a high baritone and this tessitura is a bit low for him. The women were good, if not the biggest voices. The production was quite original : the Bacchanale is a dream due to opium with videos of women dancing. Some scenes would anger most OPERA-L posters : Elisabeth suicide, desperate Wolfram joining Vénus ... I enjoyed very much this performance, one of the most interesting ones recently.

A short video here :

Jean-Michel Pennetier, Paris-not-Texas.

Modify your settings: