Subject: Re: Maria Callas Remembered
From: tom ponti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 13:51:39 +0000

Interestingly, the other day I did something I don't often do, watched and listened a lot of Maria Callas live recordings on You Tube. Her voice was never one of my very favorites, but I always found her fascinating to listen to. I only saw her once, her Met Tosca return in 65 which was good, though more exciting to see. Yesterday, I saw her Tosca second act from Covent Garden in 64, which was vocally better than her later Met performance and even more exciting to see up close. I was in the Family Circle standing room, for which I paid $50 the day of the Met performance, about thirty minutes before the performance. That was a good deal of money for an Army Private, at that time. It was worth every penny and the seven hours I spent outside the Met, hoping to by a ticked from someone. That, indeed, was a lucky day!