Subject: Re: very very strange copy in Philly
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Feb 2017 00:02:45 -0500

I think what Ken was getting at is the awkward "Google Translate" feel of the, um, English.

But I agree - Puccini was one of the master orchestrators, IMO. And Tosca is filled with
wonderful and dramatic invention. Even just the last few minutes (after the end of the
duet, from the start of the firing squad "funeral march" music onward) is perfectly scored
and dramatically hair-raising.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 18:55:32 -0800, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Deja vu all over again from the early 90s when Muti did this with the same orchestra and
Carol Vaness as Tosca.

>Much as the voice is my first love, I feel strongly that the foundation of a great operatic
performance is the conductor and orchestra.

>I think Puccini was an orchestral colorist comparable to Richard Strauss and his scores
definitely benefit from magnificent playing, as heard on the Philips release from those Muti
performances. Same comment about the Karajan Vienna Philharmonic recordings of
"Tosca," "Butterfly" and, orchestrally, "Turandot" as well as his Berlin Philharmonic
"Boheme" and "Tosca" again. I think in the VPO "Tosca" and "Butterfly" and BPO "Boheme"
(now sounding particularly stunning on Decca's Blu-Ray Pure Audio release) the singing
was up to the terrific playing, less so on the BPO "Tosca" and VPO "Turandot."