Subject: Re: Lookin good/BEARDS ETC
From: Clarissa Cheer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 2017 22:54:58 -0500

Not much to explore. I really don't think that there was a reason for opera
composers growing beards during the mid-19th century, other than following a
trend or fashion. Queen Victoria's husband and consort Prince Albert was
said to have brought about the rapid popular appeal of moustaches all over.
Then there was the bearded Longfellow and Lincoln. You could ask the same
question today, and the answer would be the same, a personal choice. Just
fashion - a trend like today's head shaving. Do some men do look more
distinguished with beards? I think so, some disagree. Same question to head
shavers? the answer?

How many opera singers today had/have real beards? Quite a few I see,
starting with of course Pavarotti, Miles, Carreras, Merritt, Gigli, Ramey,
Chaliapin, Matteuzzi, Luxon, Pesca, Terfel, even Domingo had a beard in
Othello.

Clarissa