Subject: Re: very very strange copy in Philly
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 2017 18:55:32 -0800

Deja vu all over again from the early 90s when Muti did this with the same orchestra and Carol Vaness as Tosca.

Much as the voice is my first love, I feel strongly that the foundation of a great operatic performance is the conductor and orchestra.

I think Puccini was an orchestral colorist comparable to Richard Strauss and his scores definitely benefit from magnificent playing, as heard on the Philips release from those Muti performances. Same comment about the Karajan Vienna Philharmonic recordings of "Tosca," "Butterfly" and, orchestrally, "Turandot" as well as his Berlin Philharmonic "Boheme" and "Tosca" again. I think in the VPO "Tosca" and "Butterfly" and BPO "Boheme" (now sounding particularly stunning on Decca's Blu-Ray Pure Audio release) the singing was up to the terrific playing, less so on the BPO "Tosca" and VPO "Turandot."

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone