Subject: Re: Did anyone see the French Version of Tannhäuser in Monte Carlo?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 2017 19:37:18 -0500

If anyone on this forum, outside of myself, attended a performance of
"Dialogues of the Carmelites" during its premiere season at the Met,
they will never quarrel with the idea that opera in the vernacular can work
wonderfully well. It was 1977, and it was among the most remarkable
operatic experiences in my very long list of experiences.

The diction was spectacular, especially from Regine Crespin, who sang a
defining performance. The aura of idiom was never in question.
It is interesting that the World Premiere was in Italian, and that it has
been
widely performed in Italian. French and English, though less frequently in
more
parochial tongues. I can only wonder how well. other operas would work in
other languages, would they be thusly performed. I doubt that Dialogues is
unique in that regard.

It was a wow!

Bob