Subject: Re: Lookin good/BEARDS ETC
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 2017 17:55:43 -0500

No, I have to agree with the others that wonder why this whole topic has surfaced. I see no
real correlation (not even from Clarissa, whose posts are always nice to read out here)
between the decision to grow a beard (or not) because one composes music. Or whether
composers are attractive or not. If it were important for composers to have beards, Clara
Schumann would have had one. (Did she?)

Composers are people who happen to use their artistic talent for their profession. Some
composers might grow beards for the same reason some plumbers, accountants, and
farmers grow beards. They might like the way it looks, they might be tired of having to
shave, or in some cases, it might be related to a religious or ethnic identification. Maybe
the Composer's Wife said to her recently unshaven Composer Hubby after a few days,
"keep the beard, it's sexy." Or maybe that same Wife in that same situation said to
Hubby, "you know, darling, you really should shave."

Most pictures I see of Borodin show him with a mustache. I wonder if he didn't want to
grow a long beard lest it get set on fire during one of his chemistry experiments? The
photos I see of Samuel *Barber* show him clean shaven. Interesting...

J.S. Bach seems to have kept clean shaven. A wonder he had time to shave with all those
kids and the constant commissions...(or maybe Anna preferred him without the beard,
which is why she had a good portion of those kids...)

A discussion of beards would certainly fit into a look at human fashion over time. But to
limit it to classical music and opera? Eh...

Cole Porter was clean shaven, but he did have a beard named Linda. Discuss...;-)