Subject: Re: Did anyone see the French Version of Tannhäuser in Monte Carlo?
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:32:14 -0700

No less an authority than Dr. Karl Bohm said the greatest Elisabeth in
Tannhauser he ever heard was Renata Tebaldi and she sang it in Eyetalian.
Giuseppe Borgatti, a great Wagnerian of the first two decades of the 20th
century as far as I know never sang a complete performance of Wagner in
German.  There is definitely a good argument for opera in the vernacular.
I remember the first time I heard the Ring in English via the ENO
recordings.  In any language, Hunter, Remedios and Bailey were a trio to be
reckoned with.  The first time I heard Rita Hunter's Heil dir sonne I was
 sitting in front of the stereo, it could have been in Serbo-Croatian,
Swahili or Navajo for all I care.  In any language, it was the most
glorious, radiant greeting to the sun imaginable.

Having heard much Wagner in French, Italian and English (via recordings) I
would say it works well if there is commitment, musicality and voice.