Subject: Re: apologies for DEAD MAN delay in DC and see you in DC in March??
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 28 Feb 2017 13:51:46 -0800

I'm very interested to hear how Susan Graham did with Mrs. DeRocher. I saw the original cast with Graham as Sister Helen and von Stade as Mrs. DeRocher. It was the most heartbreaking thing I've ever seen von Stade do. Graham was, for me, almost too strong and formidable rather than empathetic as Sister Helen. Mrs. DeRocher would push her to the opposite end of the character spectrum in terms of vulnerability and it's a very different type of persona than I've seen from Graham. Even her Berlioz Marguerite was a very strong figure.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone