Subject: Rusalka from the Met today
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 25 Feb 2017 17:35:11 -0500

as heard on WQXR.

When i attended a performance with Renee Fleming in 1997?, i
left after one act. She was fine; the opera was the problem.

So, I was very interested to see how I'd feel about it after
about 20 years. Nothing has changed, but, since I was home,
I pretty much stuck with it.

There may be 45 minutes of good music, though I really
think that's a stretch. There are very good reasons why some
operas appear every couple of years, while others are given
every decade or two.

I'm mainly writing this note to praise Brandon Jovanovich, who I
thought, was superb. It is a beautiful voice that invariably lands in
the center of the tone. He was very impressive!

Jamie Barton was fine, but Kristine Opolais was not. It's not easy
to destroy the magic of the "Hymn to the Moon" but she managed
to make it sound labored, sometimes unsteady, often out of tune,
and kind of ugly. That's not an easy thing to do.

To end it, mercifully, I guess, it was worth it for Jovanovich, and, to
a lesser extent, Barton. And then there were none...

Modify your settings: