Subject: Arias, duets, trios quartets and on and on
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Feb 2017 14:59:45 -0500

This is what I think -

I think "Mi chiamano Mimi" is an aria despite Rodolfo's "si"

I think "Nessun  Dorma" is an aria despite the chorus because there
are no other soloists. I see the chorus as basically equivalent to
the orchestra, and if you read the definitions of "aria" it is
reasonable to conclude the same. It remains an accompanied solo.

I have never, in nearly sixty years of opera going, called "A te o cara"
an aria. It is, to my ears, the definition of an ensemble. Elvira's music,
partnered by the other principals, is every bit as effective as Arturo's,
I think.

Maybe there is such a thing as "alternative facts". ;-)

Bob