Subject: Re: Next season at the Met
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:41:24 -0500

I would have to look back to be sure, but I assume the Sunday night is because it's New
Year's Eve, and there's always a new production that night, along with the gala. (We'd
have to check back to see if Sundays are always used when it's New Year's Eve - I can't
remember the last time it fell on a Sunday.)

I'd rather they keep the abridged Magic Flute than use their other "family" choices -
chopped up as it is, I think the format works far better for Flute than it does for Barber. As
for the current Hansel And Gretel, when they go back to having a credible forest set for Act
II, I think it would be a great choice. This current psycho-kitchen konzept is awful, and
really needs to go the way the Bondy Tosca finally has.

Romeo et Juliette just got an HD last month - did you forget that, lol? And with Domingo
"conducting" it next season, THIS was clearly the season to show it. ;-)

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:23:26 +0000, Bruce P <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Some oddities about next season...so both the German Die Zauberflote and the English
abridged version will be done in the same season--I can't recall that they did that before in
the same season for the same production.

>The new production premiere of the Tosca will be on a Sunday evening (Dec 31)?.  Or is
that a typo?  Since when did new productions premiere on a Sunday?  (and some of the
photos look very similar to the Zeffirelli)
>Verdi Requiem will actually get 4 performances (not just one)....some of them are
replacing the cancelled Forza.The rest must be all those dark nights.