Subject: Re: Puritani - today, from the Met
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 20:21:44 -0500

Speaking in accepted general terms, "A Te O Cara" is most certainly an aria. What else
would you call it?

If you're saying it can't be an aria because other people sing during it, then neither are
"Recondita Armonia" or "Il Lacerato Spirito" or "Quando M'en Vo," nor all the many solo
pieces with choral involvement, etc. (And all of these, of course, can be sung out of
context without the other voices, on recitals, recordings, etc - and often are.)

If you're saying it's not in the "form" of an aria - well, there is no one musical structure to
an aria. Arias come in many forms - and not just the formal structures like da capo and
cavatina/cabaletta.

And though I'm not aware of what the official Italian terms would be, but if this were
French opera, the title page of what would be "A te O Cara" would probably say "couplets"
- because it's 2 refrains of the melody.

It's an aria. ;-)

Rather - here's an interesting (and odd) argument - Camarena said on the broadcast
interview that he doesn't think "A Te O Cara" is passionate. (transcription below.) I tend to
think most if not all of us would disagree, lol. Discuss...;-)

("I don't think it's passionate. It's really a way to say [to] her that she's the thing...she's
the person who make[s] him believe again in love...and it's almost like a declaration, so
it's not so passionate, and it's more tender, more...singing actually to her, and to himself,
because he remembers all the sorrows he had before...so, I just think about that - about
the love this guy must be feeling to tell these words to Elvira, so it's a matter of let[ting]
go of yourself with the melody and the text.")