Subject: Re: Lookin good
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 19:48:30 -0500

Mascagni, yes; there are some striking photos, but with Tschaikowsky,
there is, again,. the beard.  Why did they do it?  It only conceals the best
features of a man's facial structure: a clean jaw line.  Are there any
sculptures from ancient Greece that depict a bearded man, unless he was
some aging philosopher or king.?    God has a beard, but Adam, his ideal,
aesthetically, according to Michelangelo, does not.   They almost disappear
in the Renaissance and 18th century, but make an unwelcome comeback
around the time of the young Abraham Lincoln.   A book could be written on
this subject, maybe has.

dtmk