Subject: Re: Damrau's Elvira today
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 19:41:33 -0500

I heard parts of the broadcast today by accident, since I find the
commentators so unbearable now I have stopped making a point of listening.

I don't know Damrau's voice, but what I heard today reminded me of what I
think of so many new sopranos of her type today -- they start out sounding
like Beverly Sills after she had wrecked her voice.  Most unpleasant.

I was very taken with Camarena (whose name I hope I have spelled correctly).
Of the tenors singing this repertoire I think he has the most beautiful
natural timbre, which he has not encumbered with an artificially strenuous
technique (like these Bill Shuman tenors).  I have always thought that the
finest singers have something in common with Nat King Cole, if that makes
any sense.  You must be able to make simple, beautiful, and expressive
sounds before anything else will impress.

But if Ms. Damrau does not normally sound like she did today she should
surely have cancelled.

David Kubiak