Subject: Re: beautiful baritone voices
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 19:40:28 -0500

Schlusnus and Prey - great voices and great artists. But...

...Poell??

I confess I've only ever had one dose of Poell - as the Count in that Kleiber Nozze Di Figaro
that has often been touted as one of the greatest ever (and I vehemently do not agree).
Poell is awful on that recording. So much so that I've never wanted to hear anything more
from him.

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:58:15 -0600, kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We had a short thread a week or so ago about what we considered to be really beautiful
baritone voices. Since then I’ve thought of three more I’d like to add to my list, all
German speakers: Alfred Poell, Heinrich Schlusnus and Hermann Prey.

>I first heard Poell’s voice when I was very young, as Falke in the Clemens Krauss
recording of Fledermaus with Hilde Güden and Julius Patzak. The sound was very rich
and, for want of a better term, baritonal.

>Schlusnus was a terrific Verdi baritone even though he sang just about everything in
German. I have only one complete opera recording of him, as Rigoletto, and wonder if
there are any others available. I have a sizable collection of singles, mostly dating from
the 30s but with at least on dating back to 1917 (the Nedda / Silvio duet with Mafalda
Salvatini) and a few from the early 40s. For anyone unfamiliar with Schlusnus, I
recommend seeking out some of his recordings.

>As for Prey, I can only say that his sound was absolutely gorgeous. For me, the best
example of the beauty of that instrument is the Pierot Lied from Did Tote Stadt. He
recorded it as a single in 1957 (early in his career) and again in the complete performance
of 1975. It’s one of the selections I play when introducing newcomers to great singing.

>Kurt Youngmann
>
>"I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an
indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the manmade sound never equaled
the purity of the sound achieved by the pig." - Alfred Hitchcock.