Subject: Re: Damrau's Elvira today
From: David Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 19:18:58 -0500

I'm a Damrau fan, but I thought she sounded today as though she hadn't
fully recovered from whatever had her on Tuesday, yet didn't want Yende to
get the broadcast.

Someone on our fb site said Markov would be bad, and he was. Not qua Slavic
baritone, but - I don't understand the yen to get a Slavic voice into
Italian rep.

Pisaroni was good. Yet overall - well, to get ready, I listened to the
Callas recording last night. Now, "Suoni le trombe" always gets its effect,
but today's rendition wasn't quite like Panerai and Rossi-Lemeni, led by
Serafin. (Why isn't this amazing duet a candidate for encores? It's an
all-too-short crowd-pleaser, and it's even placed conveniently at the end
of a short act. I guess somebody made a rule that only the lead soprano can
get an encore, unless it's the chorus in "Va, pensiero." Not my rule,
though I do accept that they're appropriate only in bel canto, and maybe
*early* Verdi.)

-David Wagner