Subject: Re: beautiful baritone voices
From: DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 18:34:07 -0500

What about singers who are actually performing today?

Simon Keenlyside in his younger days had one of the most beautiful lyric baritones I've
heard; time and injury have taken some of that intrinsic beauty away, but he remains a
compelling performer in opera and in recital.  Christian Gerhaher and Roderick Williams
also have similarly beautiful voices and excel both in opera and recital.  All are singers
who approach the text intelligently, which is not always the case with other singers (and
particularly evident in song recital).  All have a wide range of repertory and are unafraid
of contemporary music, unlike certain popular singers who stick to a narrow range of
"standards". The young Benjamin Appl is another to keep an eye on.

DK

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:58:15 -0600, kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We had a short thread a week or so ago about what we considered to be really beautiful
baritone voices. Since then I’ve thought of three more I’d like to add to my list, all
German speakers: Alfred Poell, Heinrich Schlusnus and Hermann Prey.

>I first heard Poell’s voice when I was very young, as Falke in the Clemens Krauss
recording of Fledermaus with Hilde Güden and Julius Patzak. The sound was very rich
and, for want of a better term, baritonal.

>Schlusnus was a terrific Verdi baritone even though he sang just about everything in
German. I have only one complete opera recording of him, as Rigoletto, and wonder if
there are any others available. I have a sizable collection of singles, mostly dating from
the 30s but with at least on dating back to 1917 (the Nedda / Silvio duet with Mafalda
Salvatini) and a few from the early 40s. For anyone unfamiliar with Schlusnus, I
recommend seeking out some of his recordings.

>As for Prey, I can only say that his sound was absolutely gorgeous. For me, the best
example of the beauty of that instrument is the Pierot Lied from Did Tote Stadt. He
recorded it as a single in 1957 (early in his career) and again in the complete
performance of 1975. It’s one of the selections I play when introducing newcomers to
great singing.

>Kurt Youngmann
>
>"I understand the inventor of the bagpipes was inspired when he saw a man carrying an
indignant, asthmatic pig under his arm. Unfortunately, the manmade sound never equaled
the purity of the sound achieved by the pig." - Alfred Hitchcock.