Subject: Puritani - today, from the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:21:39 -0500

As heard on WQXR.

A bunch of comments -

I am very fond of the opera, though it has some pretty bleak
filler. The four soloists have wonderful music throughout, and
that's good enough for me.

Today's performance had some knockout moments, mainly
provided by Javier Camerana.  He was wonderful in "A te o cara"
(woud someone please tell the announcers that it is not an aria)
and he was superb in the last act, beginning with "Vieni fra
queste braccia" and ending with a thrilling "credeasi, misera".
He is not perfect, but he is very impressive!

The great baritone/bass duet was a mess until "suoni la tromba"
which woke everyone up, including what had been an incredubly
lazy baton. It was a terrific couple of minutes.

Damrau, is just not what I want to hear anymore. You can sing Elvira
with Sutherland like abandon, or with Callas like like pathos, OR, in the
best
of all possible worlds, a combination of bioth, which Callas defined
for a short time. Damrau did neither. It was labored, ugly, for the most
part, and devoid of any dramatic nuance, at least as heard on the
radio. She was a great singer. She should now find a new "fach".

I enjoyed a lot of it, but was emotionally moved by none of it, and
impressed by only some of the vocalism.

It was not a waste of time, but it was very variable.

Bob