Subject: Re: Next season at the Met
From: John Greiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 18 Feb 2017 12:47:11 -0500

Hi -

I saw IRIS at Bard last summer, and thought it was OK, but I found too many of the characters one-dimensional for the work to be anything more than a very occasional piece.  It's got some nice music, the Hymn to the Sun actually appears repeatedly throughout the opera in various forms, so its worth hearing at least.  I also thought Talise Trevigne did an excellent job as Iris, both vocally and in terms of acting.  She made the character believable, successfully conveying the character's innocence, and handled the musical aspects well.

However, all the male characters are basically static in terms of character development.  They never change or grow or feel remorse or anything.  Consequently, dramatically I don't think it works, as it never "goes" anywhere - it is just several hours of Iris as victim.  Gerard Scheider did have some passionate moments as Osaka, but again the character is pretty much a one-note guy, reverting back to his old self after Iris jumps to her death.  Kyoto and Iris' father don't even go that far, there is just nothing but stock villains.

 I think it is worth a listen, but really an occasional production in a festival is probably as far is it can go.

Best,

John Greiner