Subject: Re: Next season at the Met
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Feb 2017 01:04:39 +0000

It's theoretically possible for me to find the characters in Così not quite so repellent, but it would have to be a very good production where the director and singers have really worked on making them more likeable.  However, the music is so wonderful it's not hard for me to overlook all of the rest, especially if there are some moments that are genuinely funny, which the situations certainly leave open the possibility for.  Of course, listening to recordings and broadcasts, I can put all of that out of my mind.
Overall it seems like a pretty good season.  I'm interested in most of the new productions except the Adés, which I'll only go to see if it happens to be playing when I'm there for something else, and maybe not even then; I don't regret at all my decision to pass on L'amour de loin this season in favor of Cagney, a show I would happily see again.  And I definitely want to see the productions I haven't seen in the past (Luisa Miller, Lucia even though I've read scathing things about it, and Turandot).  Among the others, I can't pass up another opportunity to see Parsifal or Thaïs, and I'll definitely see Semiramide, one of my favorite operas, especially since Javier Camarena is going to be in it, even if it means flying up one day and flying back the next.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!