Subject: Re: Next season at the Met
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:48:28 -0500

Looking at the Met's announced season from these distant Pacific shores, I
think the O'Hara Despina is quite a coup if she can bring it off -- those
trills, that legato, the control the role demands is, as far as I know, way
beyond the vocal requirements of any role she's sung previously, especially
without a mike. Maybe she sang it in college? O'Hara was dandy in The Merry
Widow, but let's face it, The Merry Widow is a musical comedy. So too I
guess is Cosi Fan Tutte, but what a difference.

I don't get the hating on Cosi Fan Tutte I've been reading on the list.
Looking at the Met's season, I don't think there's more than seven or eight
operas in the announcement that really matter, much of the rest is dated
claptrap of one level or another, for instance Luisa Miller, one lovely
tenor aria, and that's it. But Cosi is one of those operas that matter and
Verdi wrote nothing close to it musically. The real problem as far as Cosi
Fan Tutte and the Met Opera is that the house is way way way too big for it
and that's why no production I've seen there has worked. But good luck to
them, at least in an HD (is there an HD?) it won't matter. Coney Island. Sigh.

But let's have some respect for Cos Fan Tutte. Tosca? A masterpiece of
Verismo, but compared to Cosi Fan Tutte, it's merely a lot of noise. Is
Jonas Kaufmann singing again? That would be good news.

Now imagine if the Met announcement had included a house premiere of "In The
Heights"? But never fear, for contemporary "relevance" there's Thomas Ades.
No doubt all his hundreds of admirers will crowd the box office.

James Camner

Modify your settings: