Subject: Re: More on "Cosi"
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:42:28 -0500

Dennis - I agree with you so much, except for the fact that I will surely see and hear Cosi
many more times in my life.

But yes - the story makes absolutely no sense, and despite the fact that Mozart always
has profound things to say about the human condition through his music, I do feel that his
talents are wasted on these shallow characters. You're absolutely on the mark that often
Mozart's sense of emotional scale seems too big for these one-dimensional characters. It's
not that they can't feel strong emotions - it's more that the characters, as they are, aren't
really given enough dramatic importance to make such huge emotions credible. We don't
know anything about them aside from their rather stock-character nature - we also know
nothing about their current relationships, or why Alfonso has such a need to cynically
disprove their love, etc. There are simply no stakes in the plot. Which is why you tightly
feel that the cruel joke, as you put it, goes on for too long - it just can't be sustained
credibly for as long as Mozart and da Ponte would like it to be. Because we have zero stake
in these cardboard characters that we really know nothing about. The story is really only
good enough to last for a "Bastien Und Bastienne"-sized duration - what gets us through
the rest of it is Mozart's glorious music.

And glorious it is, which is why I will always come back to the piece. But while I feel that
both Le Nozze di Figaro and Don Giovanni are brilliantly structured musical stories with
characters that have real stakes, Cosi takes a few too many steps back into empty calorie
cheap comic schtick. I'd compare it to the mistake SNL used to make by trying to turn
some of their successful sketch bits into full-length movies. Didn't work. Neither the
stories nor the one-dimensional characters could sustain a full-length feature, even if one
goes into it knowing it's all for cheap laughs and doesn't aspire to be an Oscar contender.
;-)

The problem is that Mozart's music is irresistible. I suppose we could have worse
problems, lol...;-)