Subject: More on "Cosi"
From: Dennis Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Feb 2017 01:48:48 -0500

Hi, Y'all!
    To explain a bit:  my feelings about Mozart's  "Cosi fan tutte" (I
don't HATE it, I just don't care for it)  have two main causes:
    1.  The entire story is based on a cruel,  meaningless joke.  I cannot
sympathize with anyone who would perpetrate  such a trick, nor can I
sympathize with two sisters who fall in love so  meaninglessly or so quickly once
their lovers are gone, or who are stupid enough  to fall for the trick.  And
no matter HOW the story is contrived to end  (with the lovers paired as they
were at the beginning of the opera, or paired  differently) no one in the
story has the remotest clue about what true  love really is or how it
enriches the soul, even though the music wants  desperately to tell us they do.
    2.  The music is magnificent.  TOO  magnificent.  Fiordiligi amd
Dorabella are totally clueless as to  the true nature of their "loves" for either
of the lovers in question,  yet are given some of the most magnificent,
noble music Mozart ever  wrote.  (The word "bimbo" readily comes to mind.)  One
would think,  just listening to the music, that Fiordiligi was Leonore in
"Fidelio,"  or Elisabeth in "Tannhauser."  The arias are nice when they show
up in  galas.  In the opera, they make no sense, and seem ludicrous, even.
The story says NOTHING WHATSOEVER about the human condition.  The  music
wants to, except that it complements only total vapidity.   The "depth the
music gives the characters" (in Max Paley's  words) is nonexistent, because
there is nothing there for the music to give  depth to.
    3.  I end up feeling nothing but frustration,  wanting so to like this
opera and still finding nothing in it to like  except a string of nice
concert arias presented in odd sets by singers in  odd costumes.  I will never go
to "Cosi" again.
    Best,
    Dennis Ryan

In a message dated 2/15/2017 10:55:36 P.M. Central Standard Time,