Subject: Re: Next season at the Met
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:55:09 -0500

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:41:24 -0500, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I would have to look back to be sure, but I assume the Sunday night is because it's New
>Year's Eve, and there's always a new production that night, along with the gala. (We'd
>have to check back to see if Sundays are always used when it's New Year's Eve - I can't
>remember the last time it fell on a Sunday.)

The last time New Year's Eve fell on a Sunday was in 2006, Gelb's first season, and there
was a matinee performance of the English "Magic Flute", but no evening performance. They
didn't start doing gala new production premieres until "La Rondine" (12/31/2008).

BTW, that season they did do both the full German version and the English-language version,
which premiered that season, on Dec. 29th.

I wonder: At the same time as the "Magic Flute" revival they're doing four Requiems to
replace the cancelled "Forza". Surely they'd planned more than four "Forza"s? And they're
doing the Requiem on Nov. 27 and 29, and I can't imagine they'd have done two "Forza" so
close together. So perhaps some of those "Magic Flutes" are filling in dates originally
planned for "Forza"?