Subject: Re: Next season at the Met
From: Michael Liebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:11:50 -0500

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 15:41:24 -0500, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> And with Domingo "conducting" it next season, THIS was clearly the season
to show it. ;-)

I guess mine is a minority view, but I was very disappointed with everything
about this season's R&J including the conducting.  Damrau looked like a
grandmother and there was nothing at all outstanding about her performance.
 I watched the 2007 (?) performance on a recent airplane flight and it
brought tears to my eyes.  Netrebko was so outstanding.  Leonard was a much
better Stephano.  I guess both Romeos were good.  But the orchestra sounded
so much better.  Shouldn't Domingo get the credit?  (Also, I thought that
2007 was somewhat tacky, but it least it wasn't stupid like this one where
everything takes place on a street somewhere even thought probably none of
the scenes takes place on a street, except maybe the fight.  So re-watching,
it looked pretty good.)

Modify your settings: