Subject: Re: Sirus Offerings: February 13-19, 2017
From: Wendell Eatherly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Feb 2017 09:37:14 -0500

On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 22:09:34 -0700, Donald S <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> I don't quite get it with the people who program the Met on Sirius.  They
>> are honoring the great Nicolai Gedda with a broadcast of Faust that
>> includes Colette Boky, John Macurdy and Matteo Manguerra when there is a
>> broadcast of Faust with Gedda, Pilar Lorengar, Cesare Siepi and Robert
>> Merrill that has never been broadcast.  No disrespect to Boky and Macurdy,
>> but this is a no brainer.  Then there is one of the greatest performances
>> ever of Don Giovanni from the Met in 1967 under Karl Bohm with Gedda as Don
>> Ottavio, Sutherland as Donna Anna, Lorengar as Donna Elvira and Cesare Siepi
>> as the Don.  It's also probably the last time Sutherland appeared with
>> anyone else other than her husband to boot and this magnificent broadcast
>> has never been on Sirius.  There are too many mediocre broadcasts that get
>> repeated ad nauseum when many great ones lie in the vault.

That "Faust" was already on the schedule Thursday morning, about the time Gedda's
death was first mentioned here, so I'd imagine the schedule was already set before they
knew of his death, just as last week's "Sonnambula" and "Romeo et Juliette" were.
They're just getting around to scheduling "Die Zauberfloete" and "Rigoletto" in memory of
Roberta Peters this week, though she died on Jan. 18th, and her death was known about
immediately.

"The Metropolitan Opera recently lost one of its most cherished artists, soprano Roberta
Peters, who passed away in January at the age of 86. Peters graced the Met stage for 515
performances over 35 years, specializing in lyric coloratura roles to which her silvery
voice brought a special radiance. Met Opera Radio on SiriusXM celebrates her remarkable
contribution to the company with a pair of special broadcasts that feature Peters in two of
her signature roles. The first, a newly remastered 1967 performance of Mozart’s Die
Zauberflöte from the Met’s inaugural season at its new home in Lincoln Center, captures
her dazzling interpretation of the Queen of the Night. The second, the Sirius premiere of a
broadcast recorded just a month later, offers a glimpse of Peters as Gilda in Rigoletto, a
role she sang more times at the Met than any other artist in the company’s history."