Subject: Re: Sopranos
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Feb 2017 10:50:29 -0700

Well, by British born, I assume you mean UK and Ireland, the British
Isles.  My guess for who has had the greatest career would be Dame Gwyneth
Jones.  As for who might have been the greatest singer, for sheer art and
quality of voice, (and she loved dogs, a big plus in my book), Dame
Margaret Price.  Everything about her was radiant, her voice, her art, her
personality.  Of course, their was the monumental voice of Dame Eva Turner
but hers was a strange career.  If we extend the circle of British to
include Canada, Australia and New Zealand, then its definitely Dame Joan.
She was the greatest of them all.

As for us American cousins, I would say without a doubt, Lillian Nordica
and Rosa Ponselle.  Nordica did everything and did it for a very long
time.  Ponselle, from the years 1920 through 1930 had probably the greatest
natural instrument of them all.  Her recording of O nume tutelar from
Vestale is the most perfect big of singing I have ever heard from anyone.
Now, having said that, we have a few American girls who all would be
contenders.  First and foremost, Helen Traubel.  This was a voice that
equaled Ponselle and Flagstad in magnificence.  Yes, it was a strange
career and yes, the extreme top left her rather early as it does with most
voices which are so centered in the middle and bottom as hers was.  Then,
Eleanor Steber, Leontyne Price, Jessye Norman and Grace Bumbry.  Grace did
everything and for an obscene length of time.  I love her.  Jessye Norman
is definitely in the Flagstad/Traubel mode.  An organ of a voice.  Then we
have the two American beauties, Eleanor Steber and Leontyne Price.  Both
among the most incredibly gorgeous voices ever recorded.

So, my choices?  Rosa Ponselle and Dame Joan Sutherland with a loving nod
to Lillian Nordica, Margaret Price and the rest of the ladies I have
mentioned.