Subject: Re: Sopranos
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:58:01 +0000

Historically, from the U.S. I guess the vote for the "greatest" will have to go to Rosa Ponselle. Callas considered, and declared herself Greek (albeit American born) in a number of interviews so that leaves her out.

But if you asked me my favourite American soprano, I'd choose others before Ponselle. Helen Traubel, Rose Bampton, Anna de Cavalieri, Aprile Millo.

Similarly in the U.K. the vote would have to go to Eva Turner. With the impact she's had on historically informed performance of early music worldwide, I'd argue Emma Kirkby should also be considered but she didn't do much opera and this is is opera-l after all.

Modify your settings: