Subject: Re: I Puritani
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Feb 2017 22:36:59 -0500

Bellini, of course, wrote it to be sung in head voice. (As well as the other high notes.)

My theory - Camarena broke with a basic tradition, at least as far as I can surmise:

In the score, the line preceding the one with the high F ("ella e tremante, ella e spirante")
ends with a written high Db - so that the 2nd phrase with the F (on "poscia") tops the first
one.

Tenors that top the 2nd phrase with a Db in place of the F traditionally tend to keep the
relative contour of the 2 phrases by changing the note at the end of "spirante" to an Ab, so
that the Db still winds up being a higher note then in the first phrase.

BUT - Camarena sang the Db as written in the first phrase. Which to me (and perhaps to
others) tended to signal that we'd most likely get the F in the 2nd phrase. But he wound up
making them both Db's. So maybe the (totally uncalled for) shouting in the audience was
due to expectations set up and then dashed?

Ultimately, what Camarena did is fine by me. But I admit I was indeed a bit surprised he
didn't go for the F, given where the first phrase went.

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:12:28 -0500, DK Conn <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Camarena was interviewed during a previous Met broadcast, and he stated then that he
>wasn't going to take the high F.  My recollection was that he said he could sing it falsetto
>but chose not to do so.
>DK
>

>On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 08:30:29 -0500, Ivy Lin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>I was there last night. Here's my review:
>>
>>http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2017/02/i-puritani-no-high-f-but-who-
>cares.html
>>
>>A blurb:
>>"Whoever knew that the serene I Puritani would be the opera to bring out the audience
>>crazies? Last night at the Met's premiere of I Puritani there was this EXTREMELY vocal
>Diana
>>Damrau fan who would scream
"BRAAAAAAVVVVVVIIIIIIISSSSSSIIIIIIMMMMMMAAAAAA"