Subject: Re: carmen
From: Pandora Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Feb 2017 01:05:17 +0000

Regarding Kurt Youngmann's question, long ago after many over-staged, badly-sung performances, I dismissed Aida as bombastic and over-exposed. Everyone had to sing it, every opera company had to offer it, and I grew to hate it. Didn't listen to it for 14 years. But when Bergonzi died, I pulled out his 1967 Met Aida with Price, Bumbry, Merrill, and Hines. (I believe he sang Radames about a decade earlier in his Met debut?) The singing on the recording is stunning beyond belief and my attitude toward the opera was completely refreshed. In fact, I felt the enjoyment of someone coming to a great work of art for the first time. This weekend, I listened to it again in honor of Leontyne's birthday and enjoyed it immensely. I think one problem is that we become jaded or insensate toward the works we know well and hear often. Alternative theory: most operas are lovable if the best singers in the world are singing them.