LISTSERV mailing list manager LISTSERV 15.5

Help for OPERA-L Archives


OPERA-L Archives

OPERA-L Archives


View:

Next Message | Previous Message
Next in Topic | Previous in Topic
Next by Same Author | Previous by Same Author
Chronologically | Most Recent First
Proportional Font | Monospaced Font

Options:

Join or Leave OPERA-L
Reply | Post New Message
Search Archives


Subject: Re: RIP Nicolai Gedda
From: robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply-To:robert levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Feb 2017 13:38:46 -0500
Content-Type:text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
Parts/Attachments

text/plain (85 lines)


An elegant, classy singer whose voice became more secure the higher it
went. Never any fear that the high C in "Salut demeure" would be anything
but ideal.
Great Arturo w/Sutherland in Puritani; great Des Grieux. Have missed him
since he retired.
Bob L

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:21 PM, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Nicolai Gedda was des Grieux in my very first opera performance. He
> partnered Victoria de los Angeles in "Manon" on 13 Nov 1959 at the Met
> and it sealed the deal of my lifelong love of opera. I must confess that I
> found him less than ideal in a nimber of his most famous roles, Don
> Ottavio in particular, but his best was at a level that we've rarely heard
> in
> a quarter Century. I saw him as Lenski, and it was among the
> most memorable performances in my nearly sixty years of opera going.
> Something approaching perfection.
>
> And then there was the top register, certainly as thrilling as any I've
> ever
> heard. I did not attend his concert performance of "I Puritani" with
> Joan Sutherland at Carnegie Hall, but I have heard it many times, and
> it is the defining version of that music in my lifetime.
>
> To his memory!
>
> Bob
>
>
> On Thursday, February 9, 2017, Frank Cadenhead <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> > We lost a true legend yesterday. One of my examples of a truly towering
> > artist. He
> > was 91.
> >
> > Frank Cadenhead
> >
> > **********************************************
> > OPERA-L on Facebook:
> > http://www.facebook.com/groups/25703098721/
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> > To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to [log in to unmask]
> > <javascript:;>
> > containing only the words:  SIGNOFF OPERA-L
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> > To stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message to
> > [log in to unmask] <javascript:;> containing only the words:
> > SET OPERA-L NOMAIL
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> > Modify your settings: http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html
> > ------------------------------------------------------------
> --------------
> >
>
> **********************************************
> OPERA-L on Facebook:
> http://www.facebook.com/groups/25703098721/
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to [log in to unmask]
> containing only the words:  SIGNOFF OPERA-L
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> To stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message to
> [log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L NOMAIL
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Modify your settings: http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

**********************************************
OPERA-L on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/25703098721/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message to [log in to unmask]
containing only the words:  SIGNOFF OPERA-L
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
To stay subscribed but TURN OFF mail, send a message to
[log in to unmask] containing only the words:  SET OPERA-L NOMAIL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Modify your settings: http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to: Top of Message | Previous Page | Main OPERA-L Page

Permalink



LISTSERV.BCCLS.ORG

CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager