Subject: Re: Sopranos
From: walter guitian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Feb 2017 14:42:58 +0000

Eleanor Steber was appreciated by contemporary composers and it was Marie in famous production of the Met of Wozzeck, of Alban Berg, in addition that premiered Vanessa, of Barber, was recorded. I do not like it. There is a recording  that yes it captures her well, LP: Les nuis d'eté, of Hector Berlioz, with Mitroupulos, CBS Columbia.
  But Steber has bad and  an ugly voice.  The high notes lacked color, nonexistent bottom,She is a singer for snob people and  she is "rescued" by matters of intellectual poses, which she did Alban Berg, got into unusual repertoires and Samuel Barber wrote an opera, things like that.I have to say she is dreadful in the 1959 Met Tosca broadcast
Walter